From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked. (Luke 12:48)
Now let me paint a different picture for you. A young lady in small town Hungary decides to attend church for the first time....something within her seems to say it would be a good thing. She heads for her town's local church, a beautiful, century old building she has seen time and time again. She opens the door, walks down the aisle and takes a seat. As she looks around she notices only a handful of others in attendance with her and something else......she is the youngest person there. Everyone else could be her grandmother or grandfather. As the service starts a series of confusing rituals begin. She is clearly out of place...She doesn't know what to do. A message is given and although it is in her own language she doesn't understand what is being said. As the service comes to a close she is filled with relief. Church is clearly not the place for her.This is the story I have been told by more than one person during my time here. Some people truly have a desire to attend yet the experience has been so foreign, so incomprehensible, so unrelated to daily life that they never return. Hearing about experiences like this has made me realize that although I came to faith in Jesus just three years ago my three years of faith have been filled with more fellowship, support, prayer, love, teaching, and resources than a lifetime of faith could find here. Does God love these people any less than He loves those in the U.S.....No! I will not pretend to have some smart answer to this dilemma... I don't believe it's for me to figure out...but as a follower of Jesus I know I belong to a God of love and hope. Perhaps it is a blessing to be removed from all the abundance so I can see clearly and gain an understanding of the needs of others. If you have ever been on a mission trip or assisted those in need you surely know what I mean.
For we don’t live for ourselves or die for ourselves. (Romans 14:7)
Lord let your spirit fall down like rain upon this country....let Hungary be a nation among nations that honors you and brings praise to your name!

No comments:
Post a Comment